May 17, 2023 7:05 PM
- Balancing Before and After: When writing a personal transformation piece, it's easy to focus more on the 'after' state, neglecting the 'before' state. However, the 'before' state is just as crucial for setting context and making the transformation impactful.
- The Importance of Context: Highlighting your past state is vital because it gives context to your transformation. The 'after' state, without the context of the 'before' state, may seem unimpressive to readers.
- Relatability Factor: Readers often find it hard to relate to success stories without understanding the struggles that preceded them. Including your backstory can make your piece more relatable and engaging.
- The Appeal of Transformation: People are attracted to stories of transformation, particularly those that start from a challenging place. This is why shows like "America's Got Talent" often feature participants with dramatic life stories.
- The Role of Tension: If you don't create a contrast between your 'before' and 'after' states, your writing will lack the necessary tension to engage the reader.
- Embracing Your Past: Don't shy away from sharing your 'before' state, even if it was uncomfortable or something you weren't proud of. Embrace it, as it not only adds depth to your writing but also helps you appreciate how far you've come.
Remember, a powerful transformation story is built on the balance between the 'before' and 'after' states. Don't overlook the importance of the 'before' as it sets the stage for the transformation to be truly impactful.